"WRA keeps us informed of political activity and advocates in our best interest so we can focus the majority of our time on running our business."
- Trey Hester
Rocky Rococo of Oconomowoc
WRA works with the Wisconsin Legislature on key political issues that challenge restaurants and taverns.
- Sales and Income Taxes
- Tourism Funding for Our State
- Minimum Wage Indexing / Local Wage Ordinances
- Lawsuit Reform
- Teen Work Rules
- Sept. 1st School Start Date
- Sick Leave Mandate
- Menu Labeling Mandate
- Dram Shop Liability for Alcohol Servers
- Credit Card Data Security Liability Shift to Retailers
- Healthy Lifestyles and Nutrition
- Unemployment Insurance Reform
WRA sends legislative alerts and news to our members that explains (in easy-to-understand way) how changes in regulations might impact your business operations.
Want to keep on top of the issues? Join our email list
The National Restaurant Association (NRA) keeps an eye on national issues that are critical to restaurant businesses.
Top National Issues for Action
View All National Issues
With the combined force of our members, over the past couple of years WRA has:
- Helped achieve an increase in state tourism promotion funding in the state budget.
- Defeated a proposal that would have allowed local governments to tax the value of licenses, permits and contracts using the property tax.
- Defeated multiple proposals to create automatic annual increases in the state minimum wage.
- Eliminated sales/use tax on "buy-one-get-one-free" and other promotional items.
- Expanded WHEDA loan guarantees for small businesses.
- Worked to create a new tax deduction for small businesses that add jobs starting in 2011.
- Helped pass a lawsuit reform measure that will reduce lawsuits against businesses in Wisconsin.
- Averted a state nutritional labeling mandate for restaurant menus.
- Stopped a bill that would have allowed employees to sue employers for any perceived injustice, such as not getting a raise they asked for.
- Prevented a proposed ban on toys in kids’ meals in Superior, Wisconsin.
- Reshaped statewide smoking ban legislation to level the playing field and treat all businesses equally.
- Held off an organized effort to mandate paid sick leave in Milwaukee.
When the Wisconsin Legislature is in session, WRA lobbies to shape public policy by educating lawmakers on key issues important to our industry and the state’s economy as a whole. But during campaign season, the legislative off-season, WRA works to shape the legislature itself.
WRA’s candidate endorsement process supports candidates we can expect to support WRA issues during their term. The process gives all candidates the opportunity to let us know where they stand on issues that impact our industry.
- We meet with, interview and educate candidates on issues that may be coming up in the Capitol in the near future
- Questionnaires are sent to those we can’t visit personally
Contact Pete Hanson or call 800.589.3211 to discuss candidates and elected officials. By sharing information about candidates in your local areas, you can help pick candidates worthy of WRA’s support.
WRA representation helps you make your opinions known and carry weight. WRA provides legislative notices as they’re happening, access to government and regulatory agencies and protection for your business as a whole.
Make an impact in government.